I am a specialist in preparing children for the Wandsworth Test, which children take in September of Year 6 . The test consists solely of Verbal Reasoning and Non-Verbal Reasoning. And I’m passionate about helping children make sense of these very challenging tests.
I am a part-time Year 6 teacher at Honeywell Junior School, an outstanding local Wandsworth state school, and have worked there for over 25 years. I have repeated first-hand experience of administrating the Wandsworth Test with Year 6 classes and am therefore extremely familiar with its content.
I run weekly groups (January of Year 5 through to September of Year 6) and an Intensive Holiday courses in July, and now in April. See the menu for a link.
How I work:
– At my house in Crowborough Road with groups of up to 10 children
– Each session lasts one hour
– The weekly sessions run (during term time) from mid January of Year 5, until the test in the third week of September in Year 6
– My rates are based on £31 p/hr per child.
-The total of £710 (23 lessons) is payable up front or monthly.
-I offer optional revision sessions during August (extra cost) to keep the learning ticking over.
What is included:
– All practice materials and tests (value of materials around £80) and homework materials
– All stationery
– Drinks and biscuits
-A programme of homework for the Easter and Summer Holidays
What I teach:
– Verbal reasoning: around 24 different question types
– Non-verbal reasoning: around 6 different question types
– Strategies for accuracy, pitfalls to avoid, top tips for speed, and lots of timed practice
– Practice materials are very similar to the real Wandsworth Test
– The practice papers I use in the weeks running up to the Test look identical to the real ones
– The children share ideas and strategies
– Many children are motivated by friendly competition
– All the children have fun – a key ingredient to successful learning – and they don’t moan about coming!
– I have almost 25 years experience in teaching this material, and I love it!
– I have helped scores of children at Honeywell, Furzedown, Penwortham, Fircroft, St Boniface and numerous other schools gain selective places at Graveney, as well as at Grammar schools, and independent schools.
-Based on initial assessments, I will give you a ball-park prediction of what your child might score in the Test and adjust this as your child progresses.
– I have administered the Wandsworth Test numerous times so am very familiar with the content.
– My pupils tend to improve their scores by between 40% and 60% over the duration of the course.
– I have a long list of over a 100 past clients willing to talk to prospective parents.
Why get tutoring at all, especially if you live in the Graveney catchment area?
– Parents want their children to feel confident and do their best.
– The complicated and varied nature of the tests mean that even the most able child would be unlikely to complete the paper in the time allowed.
– The test would be a very stressful experience for an unprepared child.
– A child cannot show his/her real ability if they have not practised the questions at speed.
– Many schools, including Graveney, use the test scores (alongside SATS scores) to inform their decisions about streaming
Finally, I am obviously DBS checked and have Public Liability Insurance.